Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Break

Greetings from Florida.

I'm somewhat home for this week. I'm in St. Pete staying with my grandmother in the house in which my dad grew up. I have until July 11 to live it up before the new job starts, so I thought I would come down here and vegetate for a while.

Job. Yes, I said job. The past week has been a whirlwind of luck for me. Monday, June 20, I got a call from SAIC. They wanted an interview and of course I said, "Sure!" The next day I drove three hours to their Falls Church office (three hours in traffic from Warrenton). The interview went well, and at 2pm I was offered the job! They're giving me a secret clearance and great benefits to do technical documentation for DISA. I start July 11.

Friday I had another meeting at the SAIC building, I had a meeting with another one of my supervisors. Afterwards I met up with Theresa and we had lunch with her brother, Tom, and his friend David. Or at least I think his name was David. After lunch I went to Aaron's where I changed out of my business attire and watched The Bridge on the River Kwai (love for Alec Guiness). On the way to P.F. Chang's for dinner I got a call from Margaret, she told me that the awesome apartment in Falls Church for cheap that I applied for was mine! The next day I signed the lease and dropped an insane amount of money on security deposit and first month's rent-- but I have my own place now! Only four miles from my new job!

And Saturday was my 22nd birthday. Yes, the same day I signed the lease. Aaron and I went to the 9:30 Club for the Sleater-Kinney show. Although their new album, The Woods, is rockin', it's made them really popular with a totally different crowd. The show was really different from their last because of the change in audience and it wasn't that pleasant. I don't know, maybe the change in label? Kill Rock Stars to SubPop? Oh, and their opener, Dead Meadow, sucked. Sorry. Rolling Stone magazine said they were an "opening act to show up early for"-- not so much. Sorry Dead Meadow. Rolling Stone also got their name wrong, announcing them in big letters as "Dead Meadows."

Anyway. Will update soon on my adventures in Fla. Going to Ybor City tomorrow. Buying some hand-rolled cigars. Cuban cigars. Just not exactly from Cuba.

No comments: