Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Readings.

I just finished reading Hamlet for the 80-zillionth time on the train this morning. It's one of my favorite pieces of literature.

I'm trying to finish Reading Lolita in Tehran, but the author is starting to annoy me.

I've also been reading Running with Scissors, but I don't quite find it as hysterical, or even funny for that matter, as the critics claim.

Since I finished Hamlet, I'm down to two books, which means I need a third. I know, reading three at a time is slightly insane, but it's what I do. Suggestions welcome.


Note: My backpack is a veritable bookmobile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought I was going to love Reading Lolita. Hated it -- I found the author fairly self-serving and self-congratulatory, and it took away from everything I thought the book would be about. And Running with Scissors just disturbed me.

Have you read Devil in the White City, or Never Let Me Go? Both were excellent.

Katy Ray said...

It's for those exact reasons I dislike Lolita, but, I have to finish it. I'm making myself...Plus I can never remember each of her students because they just seem like an afterthought as the book progresses...

I think I've given up on Running with Scissors, but I will probably pick it up if I get desperate.

I read Devil in the White City a couple years ago for a nonfiction class I was taking with Scott W. Berg at George Mason. It's great! I've started reading Larson's new one, Thunderstruck, but I don't think it's as good...or at least not yet, anyway. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm just starting Thunderstruck now, which a friend gave me. We'll have to compare what we think!