Thursday, July 20, 2006

Rejection.

(May be filed under Reasons I Hate Being a Girl.)

Yesterday, I took the afternoon off of work to get my car serviced-- nothing too drastic, but I can't do a State Inspection or front alignment myself. I drive a 1996 Jeep Cherokee that I try to maintain and take care of as best I can. My dad taught me basic maintenance and upkeep and if I ever have a question on a part or fixing something I consult my Hayne's manual: Easy, simple, common sensical.

My Jeep is a hand-me-down from my father, who gave it to me upon graduating college. It made the transition from school to real-life easier since I didn't have to buy a vehicle and I'm extremely lucky and grateful for it. Before he gave it to me, he made sure it had a full tune-up and was serviced completely, making sure that he gave me a vehicle in top shape. My car's a '96, but it's in G-R-E-A-T shape (OK, so I need to vacuum the floor mats, but that's it!).

OK, enough about my awesome car. Now, about getting the shaft:

This is what I asked for at the Ox Road Exxon Mobil in Fairfax, VA:
1. Premium Oil Change (I don't know why I didn't get the Standard one.)
2. State Inspection
3. Front Alignment (stupid construction in Fairfax City)

Three hours later I got a call from the manager saying what they had done to the vehicle. He spoke so fast that this is all I heard:

"Oil change...state insepection...sticker...brakes and rotors...
that'll be $490...steering...changed...air filter...oil change...
belt...flush...flush...transmission...sticker anyway...OK" Click.

Panic. Will my basic maintenance cost me $500+?? I know my car doesn't need work done, The most I know it needs is a new air filter and serpenitine belt, if that. I had to call him back because I didn't catch everything he said. "Do not put new brakes and rotors on my car. What exactly did you do to it and when can I pick it up?"

"Putting it into the system now, done in two minutes. You know that sound your car's been making? That means you need new rotors and brakes. That's why we can't do the front alignment because it's your brakes that have been causing it...We only did the inspection and the oil change."

WHAAAT??? My car hasn't been making any noise. And I know, you, mister have not driven my vehicle because it was mechanic dude in the ponytail that drove it into the garage.

OK. Off we go to the Exxon. The manager said he gave me a rejection sticker, you know, the red one with the no smoking circle in it?? Rejected. Because I need new rotors and brakes. I call B.S.

I was pissed. I paid for the oil change and the failed inspection. The only reason I actually paid to have my oil changed is because I don't have any place to store the old oil at my apartment, otherwise I would have done it myself (excuses, excuses).

This weekend I'm taking it out to my parents house to use the garage. I'm jacking it up and taking the tires off to inspect my perfectly fine, non-scored rotors and brake pads ON ALL FOUR TIRES. I'm cleaning out the engine so that it looks beautiful, I'll change the air filter and serpentine belt, I'll even wash it and maybe even give it a wax. My Jeep is beautiful.

This is the list of things they wanted to do to my car:
1. New rotors and brake pads (Nope.)
2. Air filter (do it myself)
3. Serpentine belt (do it myself)
4. Cooling system flush (did it 8,000 miles ago)
5. Transmission flush (did it same time as cooling system, and replaced the fluid and filter)
6 Power Steering flush (ditto)


I wonder if things would have been different had a man took my car to the shop. And had I not worn a, well, we'll call it a booby-blouse.

P.S. Had to put another quart of oil in the Jeep since it takes six and they only put in five.

7 comments:

Theresa said...

I feel your pain---only not as acutely because you know what the mechanic lingo such as "System flush" (are you are giving your Jeep laxatives?) means while I am painfully out of touch with car stuff. I basically know how to change the oil and clean my windows, though I can add air to my tires successfully with supervision. I do, however; have a father who knows cars very very well and is even better at scaring the shit out of dealers/ mechanics. In your situation, I would have called my dad and made Big Ed take on this asshole with his 6”8’ jaws of death. Don’t judge me. It works and I’ll do it again. I could possibly rent him out to you. We will discuss options.

Katy Ray said...

Yes, options! Can the Mellow Ed be turned off though?? Can I use regular Big Ed??

Theresa said...

Are you kidding?!? Mellow Ed only shows up when Big Ed has been fed his human flesh sacrifices. You have to find a good balance though. If Big Ed devours the evil sexist mechanics and is not fully stated, he will then vent the rest of his anger on his unleasher. When this happens, I suggest staring at the wrinkles that develop on the bridge of his nose. This gives the impression that you are looking him in the eyes while keeping you from being turned to stone by his wrath.
I love my Daddy.

Katy Ray said...

I know five quarts is standard, but I would think that if a vehicle required more that they would fill the vehicle according to its specifications (even if they charge more). It makes me wonder how many vehicles that require six quarts are actually running on five.

Anonymous said...

What craziness for something that should have been simple.

Anonymous said...

Is that the one over by GMU? I've heard horror stories... we can add this one to the list.

Anonymous said...

Add me to the list of folks who have heard horror stories about that Exxon station. Kudos to you not getting duped by 'em.