Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Weekend.

This weekend was spectacular.

Friday: The power went out in our building, so we got off work at 10:30am to telecommute the rest of the day. Grabbed lunch with Bennett and his friend Will (whom I realized I lived with in Dominion Junior year) at Red Hot and Blue in Fairfax. Talked and talked and talked and Bennett and I started laughing so hard we were crying trying to relate this man's stories from McSweeney's to Will. They're my favorites (A word of advice to toddlers in playgrounds: wait until the swing has come to a full and complete stop before falling asleep), if you ever have time to spare, you'll read all twenty dispatches.

After leaving Bennett and Will, I caught up with good pal Mallory for lunch part deux at Panera and then we were off to the mall to get some stuff for her from Sephora. I had never been there before, so it was a new experience and a little overwhelming-- or not. She dropped me off back at my car at the restaurant and I stopped inside the Petco next door to see if they had any animals I could play with. I found a cute baby (four months old) green conure. He was so sweet and all he wanted was his head scratched. I probably would have bought him if a.) Aaron wouldn't have killed me, and b.) he wasn't $350. Conures are sweet birds that are really really quiet (like lovebirds) and they're almost like dogs when it comes to their loyalty and attachment to their owner. I think I stayed with him for about half an hour before hitting the road.

Aaron wasn't due home from work for another hour so I drove out to Burke Lake Park to read my book (The Da Vinci Code-- I'll have another entry on this later). I was about to leave when this girl about my age came up to the parking lot playing with a boxer puppy she was pet-sitting. We talked about the dog and how boxers behave and stuff (I've secretly wanted one for a while now). The dog's name was Toby and he was five months old; still not full grown, but his feet were huge. The girl told me that male boxers are always larger than females and that if I like boxers, but scared they'll be too big, to get a female. He was a beautiful dog, and the girl was nice enough to talk to me. I think I may have embarrassed her because I was in my car when she walked up to hers and started playing with Toby, it was really funny to watch, but she was cool (and so was the pup).

Aaron was already home by the time we got there. We watched the Daily Shows he had recorded and got some dinner. We called it an early night since he still had to pack and get ready; he left for Chicago to see his family and relax a bit on Saturday (but he gets home tomorrow!).

Saturday: Saturday morning, Theresa came over and we went to the National Zoo! We had fun fun fun. The weather was overcast and humid, but it didn't rain, so it was good in that regard. The cheetahs were out and playing and I hopefully got some good shots with my telephoto (have to get the film developed). The gibbons were going crazy as usual and sounded like every firetruck in the metro area had converged on the park. The hippos were blob-like, the maned wolf was lounging, and the storks were as ugly as ever (like always). Seriously though, why do storks deliver babies if they're that ugly, why not a nice crane or something?

IMG_1471

IMG_1467

IMG_1468

Highlights from the zoo include seeing the baby elephant, the naughty things we found in the petting zoo, and "Where the hell are the damn lemurs!" We also found that all the chimp sculptures in their little garden were anatomically correct (it was a little disturbing) and that I could fit my whole body inside the Trex skull-sculpture they had. There are a few more photos on the Flickr site, but still waiting on the film.

On our way home, we had lunch at a sidewalk cafe near the metro and stopped by American Apparel to look at the pretty colors. Theresa and I have decided to go on more adventures more often!

When I got back to Falls Church, I cleaned up and read more of my book (as mentioned above) and then headed over to the guys' (Carl, Joe, Joey, Curtis) house to hang out with the Hogan boys and play (or watch them play) some Halo. We had fun fun fun. I'm never drinking wine again (again, Kate, with the hyperboles).

Sunday: Sunday morning I picked up Mallory and we drove out to Warrenton. Malmo's moving off campus (yay for graduating!) and needed a bed. Mattresses are a lot like cars whereas they're cheaper if you buy them out in the country. She got an awesome queen-size pillowtop with free delivery (to Fairfax noless) and a frame for about a third the price she would have had to pay in town. That and I told the guy that all my family's mattresses and mine had come from this store-- workin' the deal, yo! I think we did awesome. She met my family and we were at the house for a bit before coming home. It was stormy and rainy, so I'm glad we left when we did.

That night I almost finished my book (finished the last thirty pages yesterday) and went to bed early to prepare for another week at work. I have a review coming up, so it's going to be busy with all this training I have to do.

So yes, that was my super-awesome weekend.

No comments: