Monday, October 17, 2005

The Great Candy Debate (among other things).

OK, OK, so no one likes Necco Wafers. Your loss.

Last week I applied to the George Mason Extended Studies program after having coffee with my former professor and Writing Center mentor, Terry Zawacki. If I can take a few classes next term in the non-degree program, I can apply them to the Professional Writing and Editing Master's when I start in the Fall (if I start in the Fall).

Friday I got off work early and didn't want to stick around the apartment. Feeling pretentious, I walked through the park and up the street to our Starbucks and sat with my grande soy latte and read this week's New Yorker. I told myself that this week I would read an entire issue and I'm almost finished! Now I want to collect old old maps and visit the Sydney Opera House.

The past weekend went by lightning-fast. Saturday I spent the day cleaning and getting the apartment together in one way or another (I organized my magazines). I also watched Daniel Day-Lewis' In the Name of the Father whichis an excellent film. I gave it five stars.

Saturday night we celebrated Shane's (insert undisclosed age here) birthday. It was a lot of fun to hang out with John's gang. Unfortunately, I left my camera at home, so unlike the 65+ pictures of John's birthday, I have none of Shane's. I stink.

Sunday I woke up early to the pulsating sound of jack-hammers pounding away at the giant hole that was once the old Duck-pin bowling alley. I decided that it would be the perfect time to drive back out to Warrenton (it's becoming a weekly tradition that needs to stop until gas settles down a bit more). I brought my mom's birthday present with me: Kevin Spacey as Bobby Darin in Beyond the Sea. It's a great film and I loved every minute of it. Definitely check it out.

Sunday night Aaron and I went to our usual spot for Pho (Viet House on Main Street) and then I headed home to catch some zzz's before work in the morning.

We'll see what this week brings.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

kate, have you been smoking the crack?

Anonymous said...

oh god, necco wafers were the candies my grandmother gave us if we misbehaved!

Katy Ray said...

What if I said Snickers Bar??? Would everyone NOT be on my back if I had said Snickers Bar??

Iason said...

Snickers bars are a taste of heaven.

Anonymous said...

I could deal with a Snickers Bar. But you'd be my best friend if you said Sour Patch Kids.